Thursday, April 22, 2010
Future Mouse Tales...
So Rich Ross presented his vision of what the future of Walt Disney Pictures/Studios will be...
And it's a lot like what we've seen in the past. Very much so. Ross is definitely the showman that Cook was from what I'm hearing. Here are the cliff notes:
- As we've already stated, he announced that "Monsters Inc. 2" will be released on Nov. 16, 2012. Pete Docter is back on board as well as the actors playing Mike and Sully, but I forget their names.
- Andrew Stanton's live-action debut, "John Carter of Mars" is supposed to be out in 2012 but hasn't been slotted with a release date yet.
- Jason Segel will have a Muppet film that is loaded with cameos of celebrities just like previous films in the series.
- The trailer for "Tangled" was shown and is very similar to the one that was leaked online, but not exactly like it. There is a clear emphasis to try to play up the adventure for boys, and the name Tangled certainly does that. Uh hum...
- Strangely, or not I guess, Disney did some cross promotion for Paramount Pictures, "Captain America," "Thor" and "Avengers." I guess since all those sequels will be under the Mouse it's ok to mention the competition, huh?
- Johnny Depp and crew start shooting POTC 4 in late May/early June.
- Ross says he deep sixed the 20K prequel because it was "too dark," but didn't rule out bring it back at another time. I would have canned it because of any involvement with Will Smith personally. Dark doesn't bother me.
- Tim Burton's "Frankenweenie" was talked about. I wonder if Johnny Depp will be involved?
- Pixar's "The Bear and the Bow" is now titled: "Brave" and will be released June 15, 2012. I guess that title was changed for the boys too, eh?
- They showed more of "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time" at the event. A clip, yada, yada.
- Then there was a clip of "Secretariat" the horse opera, no I mean, the drama about horse racing. That's it, yeah. Again, another project of Dick's.
- The "Tron Legacy" trailer was shown, but again, nothing new. Ross, are you playing reruns or what?
Really it seems like here I am to show you all the stuff by the guy we fired. My question to Ross is what are you going to do? Because judging by this event, you are still on the coattails of Dick Cook.
I'll be back later to finish up any loose ends and add some commentary, maybe...